Saturday, May 23, 2009

My daughter and I have spent the last few Saturdays wandering around downtown Fulton, MO - a historic small town about 10 miles from where we live and also the town where I work. We are kind of hooked on browsing the antique stores and second hand shops. There are so many interesting things to look at and some things that are practically brand new which you can pick up for next to nothing. I have spent less than $30 since we've been doing this and here's what I've picked up....

-3 pair of jeans for my daughter - $3 each = $9
-a beautiful BIG basket with swinging handles(Longaberger style quality, different brand) - $8
- Rosette pastry irons - $4
- antique pressing iron - $5
- All Recipe's cookbook(brand new condition) - $3.00

I think I was able to find a lot - for not a lot of money!

Here is the antique iron that I bought. It was covered in rust and filthy, but I've learned that sometimes you have to add a little elbow grease to get some of these used items looking like new. I covered it in cooking oil, let it soak in and then scrubbed and scrubbed it with steel wool. Now it looks like new!



The Rosette Pastry irons that we picked up were mostly for my daughter. Although I definitely enjoyed them myself :)

The first time I made Rosettes I was in 7th grade Home-Ec class. I told my daughter about it and since she had never heard of nor tasted Rosettes, she wanted to try to make them. We whipped up a batch of batter from a recipe I found online and got to work....we ended up with waaaayyyyy more than we could eat, but they sure were tasty!! We both ate our fill and ended up throwing the rest away the next day because they were soggy, but it was fun making them.

Here's what they looked like.


Proof of something fun you can find in a second hand store :)

No comments:

Post a Comment